According to advice from La Leche League (breastfeeding support and
promotion group), for breastfeeding to be really effective in holding
off your cycles, you need to be nursing during the night.  I
considered night-weaning my toddler because we wanted to start trying
for another, but I managed to get my cycle back after he cut back to
just one overnight nursing session.  My son night-weaned shortly
afterwards anyway, but had taken 19.5 months for me to become fertile
again.

And then I had just one period before becoming pregnant again. :)

        ...eliz, list admin and mom to a 2.5 yr old and a 7-week old

--
Children are made up of genetics, blind luck, and the stories you tell them.
 - The Flying Ks