Well, I certainly am not in any position to debate the validity of the "mini Ice Age" theory but, I have spent the weekend at an event in an English castle and I can tell you they are still damp. As for cold I still hold that it is a matter of perspective I grew up in Ottawa, Canada and to me living in Manchester, England for a year was delightfully warm! On the other hand, I currently live in Minnesota and I'm constantly freezing. <G> The one thing I did learn growing up with cold winters was lots of layers was the way to keep warm and if you look at historical clothing the first thing you encounter is...lots of layers.

Anyway, as other people of mentioned, menstruation and preparing for it is something we no almost nothing about in any historical period. It is a topic that belongs solely to women, and very few women's voices survive the ages to reach us, and almost none on any personal topics. This is knowledge that has always passed from mother to daughter, and is usually viewed as an "unclean" topic by men. I think that Stubbes is a perfect example of that. The only reference I have ever encountered and he is using it to insult someone by calling them a "menstrous clout". Either way, that does give us at least a bit of information that our mother's or grandmother's "rags" probably wasn't far off the mark.

Cheers,
Danielle