At 08:49 PM 1/19/2006, you wrote:
Quoting otsisto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Here is a bigger picture that might help.
http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/fmlac10526_08a.jpg
If it is small, click on the picture and it will enlarge.

That's probably the *best* copy of this paintings that I think I've
seen!

Susan
-----
Susan Farmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of Tennessee

When you look closely at the sleeves, you can see that they have long diagonal slashes edged with gold braid (or "laced" as the contemporary term is). The sleeves have sometimes been misinterpreted as "spiral-cut".

This is one of my favorite portraits (I have a nice large color picture in one of my books).

Joan Jurancich
[EMAIL PROTECTED]