Kate Bunting
Librarian and 17th century reenactor

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 19/01/2006 19:23 >>> wrote:
>Albertcat, thanks for the overview. I had noticed the scarf through the
>buttonhole in other drawings too. I  >think it's very dapper, but I don't
>think I'll be wearing a scarf, so that's probably out.

It's not a scarf to keep her warm, but a neckcloth to prevent the coat collar
from rubbing against the skin - an essential part of male attire, which this
lady's outfit is copying.

> I just saw a show on the History Channel about early firearms. Would this be
> a matchlock rifle she's got?

Flintlocks would be more common by this late in the century, especially for a
sporting gun. I think it would be a smooth bore, not a rifle.