Hello all

I'm about to make my first crinoline, suitable for
wearing with a smallish bustle underneath a late
1860s/early70s gown that I recently bought - it's in a
bad way so I'm going to copy it as a pattern then try
and restore it.

Anyway, a lot of the original hoops that I've seen on
museums are made from a kind of sprung wire that is
round rather than the flattened steel i've seen in
various shops. So far I've not found anywhere that
makes the 'olde' type and am therefore assuming that
people go with the flattened steel. What I'm aiming to
do is make a set of women's undergarments (chemise,
bloomers, corset and crinoline) that can be on display
so I'd like the crinoline to look as authentic as
possible. My copy of Period Costume suggests using the
blind-making tape that you can run the steels through
and while that is an ACE idea, I'm not convinced it
will look good when on display.

Has anyone attempted to be uber-authentic in their
steel crinoline construction? I'd really appreciate it
if there were links to pages or sites anyone could
recommend. Google has not turned up anything suitable
so far...

Thanks again,
Katherine, venturing far from her early t-tunic roots.

"A positive attitude may not solve all of your problems, but it will
annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright