At 19:03 05/02/2006, you wrote:
> i was thinking about the thin, narrow boning i used from Wissner for my
> red taffeta stays.  This is only 4 mm. wide. Would that be something you
> could use for a crinoline cage? You would have to make many hoops
> for this, but it surely would give it flexibility.

     I think Wissner does make a product of a weight that is good for
hoops.  It's thicker than the corset weight.

     -Carol

The crinoline steel I use is like the stuff they sell at Farthingales, and is specifically made for hoops. The cotton covered sort, (we have three widths and I use the medium width) will take heavy petticoats and skirts and is flexible without collapsing, and does not de-form even when you pack it tightly in a suitcase (for using in lectures.)

Maybe I've missed the point here, but if the covered steel is what was used, on some crinolines, originally, is there any reason to look for anything else? I have photos, as I am sure so do other people, of cotton covered crinolines in museums, which is why I use that. If you use bare steel, you cannot get the original 19th century connectors, unless you have them made specially, so it would be a problem to copy exactly anyway.

Suzi (rather puzzled)