We just had a discussion about this on r.c.t.sewing
It seems that there are shears that cannot be sharpened, shears that have been so abused (dropped, sharpened by idiots, etc.) that they can no longer be sharpened, but that reasonably well cared for, reasonable quality shears can be sharpened.

This fellow, who sharpens knives and scissors professionally, was quite helpful in the discussion. Of course, he does sell sharpening services. http://www.villagesharpener.com/
Have not gotten around to sending my shears there yet.

I don't know about sharpening other sorts of pinked cutters.

liz young