[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I don't know if this helps with the definition you're looking for or not, but here are two samples
of "fine drawing" from Woolman's "Sewing Course," c1900, where it's used to
patch damask. It was also used on heavy cloth as the stitches could be hidden in the material. It's
different from seaming, but it does join two pieces butted together without overlap the way seaming
does.
http://www.hollisandbell.com/Cat7706/finedrawing01.jpg
  http://www.hollisandbell.com/Cat7706/finedrawing03.jpg

Thanks, but in the quote I was looking at, the seam has already been backstitched, so it doesn't make any sense that it would then use a technique like that. I think it's more likely to be the ladder-stitch that was suggested before, as a method of reinforcement to prevent the center seam from having too much stress on it.

Dawn