>> There are boned bodices in the Museum of London, but manly from the
>> 1650's. I recently looked at bodices and a beautiful pair of stays from

Melusine> I should have been more specific; I don't know of any boned bodices or
corset in existance before after 1603 but before 1640.  I believe the pinked
white silk in the V&A is dated 1640.  The bodice styles changed drastically
about 1620, and changed again around 1640-45, so looking at the later
garments doesn't really help much.

How odd that men's doublets are boned, yet the women's arent. Ref:
Naomi Tarrant's Devel of Costume, p.109-110 photos "showing the thick
cardboard used to create the straight area between the chest and
waist. The front edge is further stiffened by a whalebone." The
doublet is 1630s, Natl Museum of Scotland.
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]