Our latest additions to our Library are data charts and graphs of the
comparisons of the U.S. womenswear and menswear fashion industries from
1849-1925, http://www.costumegallery.com/1928/Economics/charts/menwomencomp.htm
The first chart is the amount of menwear and womenswear clothing establishments
that existed during the given times.  The second chart shows many people were
employed in the men and women's industries.  Please don't confuse this with how
many men or women that were working in the entire industries.  The accounting
was recorded by how many people worked in the menswear industry, AND how many
worked in the womenwear industry.  I will be adding several of these graphs and
charts to add to our Library.
I have temporarily placed this webpage in the free access area.  Next Friday,
it will be moved to the subscription only area of the Library.  The graphs are
large, so you might need to scroll sideways to view its entirety. I am sorry
for the size being so large, but it was needed to include the data charts.  If
you print this webpage, I suggest that you print in landscape setting and do a
"print preview" first.

My source for this information is the book, Economics of Fashion.  The book is
well written and thoroughly researched. This book is the first one I have seen
goes into so much details about the business history of the industry.  In my
daily Library newsletter, I am sending our subcribers excerpts of the chapter
about the standardization of the fashion industry.

Penny E. Ladnier
Owner,
The Costume Gallery, www.costumegallery.com
Costume Classroom, www.costumeclassroom.com