From: Danielle Nunn-Weinberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Well, if you're interested in the middle of the 16th century, we have
a bit of an idea of what was worn on the Mary Rose, which sank in
1545.  There were a number of leather jerkins found, as well as some
wool garment fragments, some wool flat caps, leather shoes... that
sort of thing.  The info shouldn't be too hard to track down if you
look up the Mary Rose.

There are also the excavations from Red Bay, Labrador and the wreck of the San Juan (1565). Although I haven't found documentation on more than the shoes, I'm told that the graves of the Basque seamen had clothes that were excavated.

BTW, it is most likely (speaking of shoes) that common seamen were wearing turnshoes like: http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/SHOES/redbay5.html. Non-turned shoes, when found, being more expensive possibly denote officers.

Marc