I'd add Taffeta to the list of silk fabrics and add a warning that most of the time if you see satin, taffeta, velvet etc. in your local fabric shop they aren't actually silk and you must check the labels.
Elizabeth
----- Original Message ----- From: "Althea Turner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 7:23 AM
Subject: [h-cost] quickie textile guide

Hey all,
I have a friend who is not allowed to go to the fabric store without a keeper. :D She knows nothing about fabrics and likes shiny bright SHINY fabrics, which are rarely a natural fiber. So with her in mind, I am working on a quick guide that she, and others, can print out. I am sure I am leaving out important information so if you could check it out and let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it. The intended audience is re-enactors without much experience with fabrics or sewing.

http://www.alfalfapress.com/dress/quickie_textile_guide.html

This is my first draft, so any input would be appreciated!! Thanks!!
Althea

Althea Turner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Ignorant themselves of the forces of nature and wanting to have company in their ignorance, they don't want people to look into anything; they want us to believe like peasants and not ask the reasons behind things."
William of Conches, 12th century