> Hiya everyone,
> I just read a bit of info that says the term cartridge pleats has it's
> roots
> in the late 19th century so what is the correct term for the 16th century.
> know it was gauging in the mid 19th century but do we have a record of
> what
> it was called prior to that?

Have you tried looking at the Juan de Alcega book?  There might be a clue
in there.

But my guess is that trying to name pleats is like trying to name
historical dress styles.  What we call a "Cranach" dress or a "gothic
fitted dress" was most likely just called a "dress" at the time it was
worn.

Diana

www.RenaissanceFabrics.net
"Everything for the Costumer"

"Become the change you want to see in the world."
--Ghandi