In a message dated 4/25/2006 8:33:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I know  that Picasso is considered fine art. I still don't like
it. It simply  doesn't appeal to me.

********************

What a strange statement, since he paints in many different styles during
his career. Do you not like the blue period? The rose period? His neoclassical?

Cubism?And he also does etchings and lithographs and  sculpture.  Just what
are you referring to? Perhaps if you knew  something about what he was trying
to communicate, you might "get" some of his  works. What do you think he was up
to?

I don't particularly like Matisse, but I would never declare it "not art".
And though his paintings leave me cold, his cut paper collages I like very
much.

Both these artists have so much to do with imagery and attitudes we take  for
granted today, it's amazing. They are a major part of our culture.

It has more to do with whether a lot of people like it or not or whether it
makes money. Often one has to meet really exceptional stuff half way. It often
 takes an effort on the part of the audience as well as a considerable about
of  effort from the artist. One cannot just expect to sit passively and be
spoon fed  everything....though this is what many people expect.