Kim, a little late on this, but I would suggest that you think of the bodice
to be slightly one third of the costume in length. As I have said, it should
be a little to the top of your waistline.  I am working on a dress for a
plus sized woman right now.  Her waist measure is probably 50"  So, for
this, I will use 3 1/2 panels 45" for the skirt.  this will allow fullness
without being voluminous.
I was watching "The Heiress" last eve (Olivia Haviland) and was struck by
the grace the women's costumes provided for a glimpse of the mid 19thC.  And
the hair styles did Not nod to the time period of the production.

A pagoda sleeve with gauze or fine linen undersleeve would be a nice choice
(Especially if your upper arms are at all heavy) The trick is to make the
sleeve big enough to cover without wrinkles at the armpit but remember that
the re should be no gathers at the shoulder.  I have found the PastPattern
bodices to be Avery good choice for style.  It will go nicely with any round
skirt.

Taking a hint from central European models, I set the panels on a split
waist band which will allow you two pocket slits, one on either side. The
actual pockets can be on your petticoat or on a twill band, much as they
were in the late 18thC. The buttonholes go on the ends of the front and the
back band should be about 2' longer. You will finish them with 2 sets of
plain buttons either end.  this also helps with larger/smaller fluctuations
of weight .

Kathleen