At 07:50 17/05/2006, you wrote:

"I have some lovely pictures of the kind of flossing that was used in
the late 19th century, but they do not come with instructions.  Can
anyone point me at a website, or instructions please? Suzi"

Suzi - I've not found anything about how to actually do it on the web or indeed in any books. However, playing around on a couple of corsets I've found that using two or three strands of cotton embroidery floss (since I'm not going to be washing them), secured with a couple of small stitches inside and then building up the design over and through the spiral from the front works. It is /very/ hard on your fingers especially until you get the feel for the spacing between coils but can be very effective.

I'm sorry that I can't be more help but if I find anything will be sure to post it here.

Katherine

Thanks for that - I have actually done fairly simple style flossing with proper flossing silk - bought in a charity shop many years ago!! But I would really like to do it properly. And yes, I agree, it is hard on the fingers - and the needles - bent at least two trying to fight one through a space that wasn't there!

Suzi