----- Original Message ----- From: "Suzi Clarke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 5:12 AM
Subject: [h-cost] When and how did you start making costume?

In discussion with a couple of friends at the weekend, we fell to talking about when we started sewing. One friend is a re-enactor, the other a former wardrobe mistress for the National Theatre among other things. Both of them had started very early, making clothes for themselves and for dolls. And they did it for pleasure! (And I am a professional costume maker.)

Now I never made clothes for dolls that I remember. As a teenager I occasionally, and very badly, made the odd skirt or blouse for myself.

I, too, started out making Barbie clothes. And I loved Madame Alexander dolls for their exquisite costumes.

But I still hate sewing up the costumes! I love the working out of what the customer wants, the choosing of the fabrics, the making of the patterns and cutting them out, (skip the next bit - the sewing up) love hand finishing, trimming, and fitting. But please could someone tell me where to get a magic wand to sew everything together?>>

The only part of the above that I DON'T love is the fitting. I truly, truly enjoy sewing. I do get impatient toward the end of the finishing up stage first. For my own costumes, I've started sewing by hand , mostly for authenticity, partly because it forces me to slow down and really savor the process.

coincidentally to the sewing conversation, we wondered if it
was a given that costume makers, whether professional, gifted amateur, or occasional maker, have cats? All the ones I know do.>>

Nope. I rent my house, and my husband hates cats. Besides, I have a cockatiel and an African grey parrot, and I would really prefer that they not become kitty kibble.

Dianne