it would be cool if I could buy a bleached hide and dye my own leather
> for their shoes, too.

The problem with leather dying (as opposed to products that "paint" colour over
the leather) is fixing. You are better off using the correct dye and fixer. If
buying the leather from a merchant, consult with them about the best dye to use
for the particular leather you are using -- be specific as the size of the job
may impact upon the best method. Oh, and don't be afraid to ask even if it
sounds odd, most merchants are leather enthusiasts and would love to help,

-C.