Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 16:48:59 -0500
From: "E House" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [h-cost] ribbon embroidery frame, & water-dissolving
       interfacing?

Also, long ago I did graphic design for an embroidery company.  To back the
embroidery, one of the things they used was a type of interfacing that
dissolved when sprayed with water.  Does anyone know the name of this stuff, or
brand names of something similar but perhaps a bit more substantial?

Google "tear-away heat-away stabilizer" and you should find Taunton
Press' quick ref on stabilizers.  There are wash-away versions, too &
while I have some in my embroidery machine's stash, I havent used it
yet.  I use Tearaway and Heat-Away, these are the brandnames.

The ribbon is black, and all the traditional methods I've experimented with to
mark the design just did not work well; there's too much fiddly detail in the
design for anything that actually shows up. I'm hoping to mark the design on an
easily removeable interfacing instead.  (My last ditch idea is to paint the
design on, but that seems like it will take forever and make it really hard to
accurately render the design.)

-E House

I would embroider the major elements first... whatever gives the
repeat length fairly quickly.  My suspicion is that you're stuck doing
it by hand perhaps with pins denoting the repeat.  I had to do this
for both of my Victorian beaded & waterfall chokers as they were on
royal purple & black, respectively.  FWIW, I didnt frame them, I just
did them free-hanging.  I'm a lifetime lap-quilter so this is not a
surprise given what I'm used to and the fact that the beads cant be
sandwiched in a frame.

Yards of embroidered ribbon?!  You have more patience than I.  Zowie.

Whatcha goin' to do with it?

--cin
Cynthia Barnes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]