Every time I visit DC I try to run downtown & see what they've done to
my hometown.

The newest addition to the Smithsonian is the American Indian Museum.
It's very pretty. I was curious how they'd manage to museum a cultural
that is less material and more into ephemeral arts.  Well, it's mostly
new stuff, or old techniques such as basketweaving or beadwork done
with a twist.  Oh sure, lots of hi-quality stuff here & while I was
amused by the "Workbasket from recycled plastic miniblinds", tho joke
was only funny once.

In the beadwork section there were some phenomenal 19th & early 20th c
wearables such as hats. We spent lots of time in this section. There
is so much stuff, that there are drawers for visitors to pull out.
It's like shopping!  A new surprise item or 20 in every drawer.

There are some beautiful, beautiful boats on the ground floor, but too
pretty to be used.  They're clearly art pieces not everyday working
tools.
The restaurant makes a huge effort to serve only food from
pre-Industrial cultures all over North and Central America.  We dined
on Quinoa salad, Indian corn pudding, a turkey tamal (no cumin!), and
a dish of squashes & new world beans.  Lovely!
Unfortunately, I didnt get very far into the museum before I had to
run catch my plane.
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]