I saw the partlet. It's fabulous.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Carolyn Kayta Barrows
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 11:51 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Neck Ruff

>How do you construct the neck ruff so that the hem,
>etc is hidden?

If you don't want a visible hem at the outside edge, don't make a hem
there.  Use doubled material, folded over any stiffening you think you
need, with the fold at the outside edge.  That way there's no hem to have
to hide.

I'm making a double-sided blackwork ruff, for my blackwork partlet, out of
folded material.  I'm hiding all the thread ends in between the two layers,
after attaching them securely to something inside there as if it were the
back side of regular embroidery.  And I'm running the embroidery right out
to that folded edge.  I have yards of embroidery still to do on the ruff
part, so no pictures of any finished garment yet.  But I finished the neck
band and body of the partlet last year, added a plain white ruff
temporarily, and wore it that way.  (If I thought my guild would let me I'd
spangle in between the embroidered motifs, but I'm just a Lady-in waiting,
so they won't.)

        CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
          www.FunStuft.com