To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:50 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] bad luck!

What a sad thing!
Do you ever use a thimble, Bjarne? I never found a metal one I could stand, they made me so clumsy, and I usually wound up not using that finger at all! But now I have two thimbles I use when hand-sewing (quilting, making a multi-layered seam, attaching snaps, hooks, or buttons, etc.) thick or stubborn fabric, and both have saved me a lot of blood (I'm constantly pricking my fingers! With thin fabric I'm not using a lot of force behind the needle, but the more stubborn the fabric the worse the prick!). One is a leather thimble I got in a quilting shop--it has a reinforced tip. The other is a ring thimble one of my actresses gave me--the size of a finger-ring but with dimples to stabilize the needle. Both are very helpful, and neither interferes with feeling the cloth. This is probably old news to you, but just thought I'd mention....Maybe you can retrieve the ribbed silk project sometime.
--Ruth Anne Baumgartner
scholar gypsy and amateur costumer