Can anyone tell me more about this?

"The allegory of colour, which already at the end of the thirteenth century showed slight signs of development, had now become a language comprehensible to nearly everyone, and the full-fledged dandy had now the means of proclaiming to the world his amorous adventures by the scale of colours displayed in his dress."

It's a quotation from "The Black Death: A Chronicle of the Plague Compiled from Contemporary Sources" by Johannes Nohl. My copy was published by George, Allen & Unwin Ltd., in 1961, but the book was first published in 1926. It's on page 153, where he's discussing European life after the plague.

Obviously, this is an old book, and scholarship has moved on. Is the concept just one of those myths of costuming? But if it's true, what was this colour code? I'd be grateful to know more about that, but even more grateful to know if this is a reliable author, because he says many more interesting things.

Linda Walton,
(in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, U.K.).