I think I posed this question before but got no response. Jo-Anns sells a fabric called satin taffeta. I know that both satin and taffetas are separate weaves, so what the H*** is satin taffeta?

Sylrog

On Jun 29, 2006, at 9:16 AM, Kim Baird wrote:

Taffeta is a ribbed fabric. That is, there are many more threads in one
direction than in the other. If you have twice as many filling threads as you have warp threads, the filling threads pretty much cover the warp, and
make little ridges called ribs.

Crepe de Chine, shantung, poplin and faille are some other ribbed fabrics.

Taffeta is also made from filament yarn. This can be silk or nylon or
polyester or even rayon--anything that is extruded as one long filament. It
can't be wool or cotton or linen, since those are not long filaments.

Iridescent taffeta has warp and filling yarns of different colors. Moire
taffeta has a water-marked, embossed design.

A good magnifying glass cvan help you see the weave better, to identify a
taffeta from a broadcloth or a satin weave.

Kim
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Susan B. Farmer
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:01 AM
To: Costume List
Subject: [h-cost] fabric question -- taffeta

What is it that "defines" taffeta?

I just snatched the *most* gorgeous piece of what I'd call taffeta (it's heavy and it *sounds* like taffeta) at Hancocks for $3.00/yard (WoHoo) with
40% cupon.  It's pink on one side and lavendar on the other (not shot,
though).

And it's *natural*  cotton/linen/rayon blend.

Happy Dance!

and it's *mine*  :-D

Susan
-----