I charge by the job. If I acquire the materials myself, I can usually get a better discount than the person who wants the costume. Since for a long time I always underestimated the amount of time involved, I finally decided to go with a percentage system. I add 33% to material cost for a normal job. If they want something in less than a month I add another 15% expedite fee. But your customer must consider the complexity of the costume you are making. For instance, I once sewed 1240 pearls on a man's doublet. For wedding dresses, a lot of designers add 65-75% to their costs just because the more complex dresses take a lot of detailed hand work. One of the wedding dresses I made had to have German lace hand sewn to the edge of a cathedral length train and aprox 300 pearls sewn on the bodice. So I can certainly see the point.

Catalina
nunca sin mi vino