At the risk of being obvious, are you sure that Nurse Canant was a female?

Laurie, RN, BSN

From: "E House" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [h-cost] OT: civil war experts
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:52:56 -0500

For those of you involved in civil war costuming, I have a slightly odd request. Do you know any historians, professional or amateur, who know everything about Shiloh and events around the same time & area?

See, for the past 15 years, I've had this very frustrating, completely impossible research project that I've been picking up every few years, and now that the internet has become such a useful research tool, I'm going to try to take it up again. Pardon me if my memory is fuzzy on the details, since it's been a while and I haven't looked back through my info. Anyway, in Friendship Cemetary, in Columbus, MS, there is a mysterious grave: it's among the CSA soldiers' grave, but is labeled only "Nurse Canant, CSA." To the knowledge of the history professor who assigned me this research project in the first place (the college-two-years-early boarding school I went to did a "Tales from the Crypt" event every year), no other woman was officially buried as though she were a soldier (not taking into account crossdressers) in any CSA graveyard. Obviously, there's an interesting story in there somewhere, but what on earth did she do to get that honor, and why didn't they know anything else about her? I researched her as best I could with local resources, and discovered that she would most likely have died in the battle of Shiloh, but was unable to find any Canants or Cannants in the area, or anything else of real use in solving the mystery.

Hopefully some of you can understand why I can't let this go! A few years back, I did the rounds of the geneaology websites, with no luck, but I'm not giving up yet.

-E House