Message: 6
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 20:23:35 -0500
From: "Alexandria Doyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Question re: men's 16th/17th c. doublet
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Answering several people's questions here.

Alexandra asked:

I'd wonder though why you chose to add cotton batting to your doublet?
 I have done rapier fencing in linen doublets and shirts, without
addition padding and was quite well protected.  It would seem to me
that the padding would add to overheating, which could hurt you more
than a small bruise or two.  Well, that's my opinion, ymmv, Alex

I added the cotton batting partly as a nod to the silk floss padding
described in Janet Arnold, and partly because the armseyes are so
high/tight I don't think I'll be able to fit my modern underarm
protector underneath. The group I fence with (mashs.org) emphasizes
safety heavily so I don't want to go to the great trouble of making
this thing and then not be able to fence in it!

Kelly asked:

The tabs look great to me, in fact the whole doublet does.  I think that
when you are fully dressed, your bottom half garment will create the look
you are after in the tabs.  They just need that stuff underneath.

Will you be wearing petticoats or venetians?

Venetians - I learned to fence in modern fencing knickers, I'd likely
trip over myself if I tried to switch to skirts now :P

Many of you mentioned the possibility that the bottom half of the
outfit - breeches or skirt - will help hold out the tabs, but I am not
so sure - venetians aren't that full up top, are they? I think I may
well add a layer of canvas for more "oomph".

Thank you for your answers!

Allison T.