Don't know of this, but if true, could be for privacy/modesty during
nursing. Just a thought.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Dawn
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 8:05 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Mona Lisa

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> IN the last day or so, there have been a number of reports on the
> intensive laser scan that a Canadian outfit is doing on DaVinci's Mona
Lisa. In addition to a number of other new information, they are saying that
they have detected a gauze veil on her head that they are claiming
demonstrates that she had just given birth.

I don't know about the symbology of the veil they are talking about, but
  the reports are saying it was placed over her dress, not on her head.
There's also talk of a 'bonnet'. I've copied a few quotes below, from
several articles, there seems to be some variation in what's being
reported and quoted.

Dawn

The NRC study discovered, under dark varnish, a previously unseen gauzy,
veil-like cloth hanging from the bodice of Mona Lisa's dress. Such a
garment was common in Renaissance Italy for women who had recently given
birth, French and Canadian scientists said during a news conference
yesterday at NRC headquarters.

Dark varnish had also made invisible a newly discovered small bonnet
worn on the back part of Mona Lisa's head. The bonnet peeks through the
varnish only with the aid of the NRC's high-tech laser vision.

"Thanks to laser scanning, we were able to uncover the very fine gauze
veil Mona Lisa was wearing on her dress. This was something typical for
either soon-to-be or new mothers at the time," Michel Menu, research
director of the French Museums' Center for Research and Restoration,
said on LCI television.

It said other details obscured by darkened paint and varnish included
the hair originally being in a bun and a slightly different posture, as
well as the gauze dress.

"This type of gauze dress ... was typical of the kind worn in early 16th
Century Italy by women who were pregnant or who had just given birth,"
said Bruno Mottin of the French Museums' Center for Research and
Restoration.

Using infrared technology that allowed them to see more clearly beneath
dark varnish, the scientists found that Leonardo da Vinci's model had a
gauzy, nearly transparent layer over her dress that was typically worn
by pregnant women of the time, or mothers who had recently given birth.

The model for Mona Lisa was Lisa Gherardini, the wife of Francesco del
Giocondo, a Florentine cloth merchant. The discovery of the filmy
garment, sewn to her dress at the shoulders, means the painting was
commissioned to celebrate the birth of her third child,

also found that in addition to her veil, Mona Lisa was wearing a dark
bonnet which cannot be seen under the layer of varnish. It was applied
long after Leonardo da Vinci died,