I agree with using Wikipedia as a jumping-off point. I put it right in
line with R. Wilcox Turner and just above the Peacock and Tierney
books, in that someone who doesn't quite know what they want can look
through them and point to a silhouette and say, that's what I'm
looking for. Then you go to a reliable source or three and get the
correct pictures.

Lynnd

On 9/30/06, A. Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Message: 8
> Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:43:57 -0400
> From: "Penny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [h-cost] Wikipedia as a source
> To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Someone used Wikipedia as a source in a message, so I thought I would add my
> two cents...
>
> Wikipedia is not really a good source.  If a college student quotes
> Wikipedia, they lose points.  Wikipedia can be edited or information added
> by anyone.  The website started as a copy of a 1910s? encyclopedia that was
> put online.  The owner of the site, decided to let anyone update the
> information.

Agreed, Wikipedia isn't considered a good source. However, I would put
forth that it's a good starting place for more indepth research, as
their entries often provide references to academic websites and books.

In other words, what someone else said about finding backup - if
something piques your interest on Wikipedia, be sure and find
confirmation before accepting any of it as fact.

> Penny Ladnier,
> Owner, The Costume Gallery Websites
> www.costumegallery.com
> www.costumelibrary.com