Ahh... $14 is indeed a good price, as long as the quality is good. I get mine here:
http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/Catalog_items.aspx?Query=taffeta+silk
but then, of course, I work for them.

It's generally $11/yd there, but the quality is unfortunately hit or miss; you can find some absolutely great taffetas, but right next to them, you'll find lightweight slubby ones that just aren't that useful. At the moment, they don't have too many iridescents, but they have some nice-looking faille taffetas. Usually, I'd suggest ordering 1/8 yd pieces of the fabrics you're considering first, but given the shipping time involved, I'll suggest calling in your order, explaining your situation to whoever you talk to (ask for Cathy) and ask for suggestions from her; she's used to working with people like us!

-E House