At 03:44 15/11/2006, you wrote:
Suzi Clarke wrote:
Gable headdresses seem to have been made on a metal wire frame. The one I made for the Museum of London was based on a copy of the frame in the museum. <...> If you want to see it, go here. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Sistersuzi/Vermeer1.jpg

Very pretty! Do the falls in back extend from the two bottom sides of the square in back as they do in the Holbein drawing? They look like they're hanging a little straighter than that.

What did you use for stiffening besides the wire frame?

There was the wire frame at the front, then a square frame for the back, set diagonally. The two were joined/covered with some stiff "Vilene" and "Pelmform" (a stiff stuff you use for curtain pelmets). This began to crumple while I was working on it, so I reinforced it with very short lengths of steel boning from my corset stash. I think buckram would probably have been the best answer, but I find that very hard to handle these days.

Suzi