"Round-heeled" reported a similar phenomenon but due to excessive
walking on the job--i.e., street-walker. This is a similar
"understanding" of mine....
--Ruth Anne Baumgartner

I've always thought "round-heeled" was aimed more at the "easy to push
over" in the sexually available sense... not so much streetwalker as
er, um... "amateur enthusiast".

And in reference to the "Walking Art" exhibit article the photo
caption says "These 12-inch-high chopines are reproductions of a style
worn by Venetian women in the 16th century."  Well, pooh-pooh!  I've
never seen chopines that look like that.  The ones that are laced have
double rows of eyes and they dont have tongues like modern shoes. I
dont know of any with a heel cap. The ones that are closed toed are
usually mules. Most are open-toed. This is a modern shoe on a 16th-ISH
platform. It appears to be suede which is not a 16th leather
treatment. And as for the 16th c & Italy as the origin of chopines
here are clear references to Spanish chopines in the 15th c; you can
find one priest's c1485 diatribe  against them in Ruth Matilda
Anderson's book, Hispanic Dress.

What these 21st century chopines are is amusing; they are a
beautifully crafted homage to 16th style, but not a "reproduction".

I will now go console my double-laced, open-toed, velvet & tasseled
reproduction chopines and tell them how wonderful they truly are and
if I get to DC this winter, I will go have a look at the exhibit.
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]