Well, my dummy is naked, but my sewing machine and work table are wearing
pieces of the medieval dress with big bell sleeves that I've taken apart so I
can remake it to fit me.  When I bought it I thought it would just need
hemming.  Once I got into it I found it was going to be much more complicated.
I ended up taking it apart almost to flat fabric.  The neckline in it was cut
so wide that I've had to create a contrast yoke instead of just an overlay.

I've also bought an Elizabethan that's worked out the same way.  Loved the
fabric.  I thought it would be a quick fix...but I was wrong.  I got the front
of the bodice to fit well but I had a 3" gap at the back lacing!  The bodice
and forepart are the same fabric so I'll be salvaging from there to remake the
bodice.  Why is nothing ever as easy as it first appears?

A friend of mine commented that most seamstresses he knows buy fabric to make
costumes but I buy costumes and make fabric <G>.

I've thought about that a lot.  I think I have a severe fear of making that
initial cut into "virgin" fabric.  Anyone else suffer from this?

Julie