On Saturday 16 December 2006 4:57 pm, JAMES OGILVIE wrote:
> Actually, there still isn't anything available to introduce this style to
> the person who just wants to make clothes, as opposed to doing in-depth
> research.  The artwork shows a number of styles and variations, many of
> them simple to construct and wear and Italian styles are extremely popular
> at SCA events.  A book that explains the different styles and gives some
> guidance as to how to do it RIGHT really needs to be written.

There may not be books, but there are websites.  I don't know how these would
pass muster with you from a historical accuracy perspective (Italian Ren is
not my primary area) but the following sites look pretty good to me from the
perspective of "just making clothes":

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~rowen/renbk/rendressbook.html
http://ilaria.veltri.tripod.com/italiandress.html

These are actually late 15th century, though.  For 14th, aren't you just in
the so-called "cotehardie" or "Gothic fitted dress" era (especially in Italy
where simpler styles tended to prevail during that period)?  There are good
sites for that too:

http://www.cottesimple.com/
http://www.netherton.net/robin/ (the fourth link from the top of the page is
to a PDF with useful information)
http://www.maybe.org/~rodmur/sca/Cotehardie.html (all about how to alter a
particular commercial pattern into a plausible period garment)

Of course, the would-be seamstress/seamster will have to decide which if any
of these methods works with their level of skill/desired level of
authenticity....

--
Cathy Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point
of doubtful sanity."  --Robert Frost