On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:29:09 -0800 (PST) Kathy Page
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Arlys,
>
> I can happily confirm they go back *at least* as far as the
> sixteenth century in Sicily, having had first hand experience with
> stranded floss silks in use. They sewed garments and made lace with
> them, in my experience.

Very nice! They also appear in the Hardwick (Elizabeth of Shrewsbury)
inventories, as polychrome floss silks used for cushion covers
(_Elizabethan Treasures the Hardwick Hall Embroideries by Santina Levey,
pg 47_).

> I can even help you find some to experiment with. ;-) The store
> exists, but is not ready yet for orders. email me off list if you
> are interested.

thank you. I've been working in floss silk for years--it's loverly stuff
for a lot of things, incl. blackwork. I'm trying to trace its history a
bit. :-)

Arlys