At 00:16 25/12/2006, you wrote:
-----Original Message-----
>Said to be Anne but looks more like Mary.
>http://ntap.k12.ca.us/whs/projects/history/himages/wives2.jpg

This portrait is at Hever Castle, Anne's family home, so I think it is
probably authentic.

Suzi

De: There has been a debate as to whether the portrait is that of Anne
Boleyn or her sister, not that it wasn't authentic.
If you compare Mary's portrait with the above painting
A portrait of Mary Boleyn
>http://history.wisc.edu/sommerville/361/boleyn_family.htm
and then you compare it to Anne's

http://englishhistory.net/tudor/monarchs/boleyn.html you can see why there
are some questions as to who it is.

The citation says a "late 16th century" which if correct, would seem to suggest a posthumous portrait. I see two different people, and always have. I have never thought it was the same person.

Most for it being Mary tend to point out the gable headdress vs. the French
hood but with that you have this portrait of Anne
http://tudorhistory.org/boleyn/boleynmin.jpg

It is believed that Anne wore the French hood because she stayed in France
for a spell and Mary did not.
The possibility of Anne wearing a gable headdress would be because she was a
Lady in waiting to Queen Katherine of Aragon.
If you are saying the portrait has to be Anne cause it is at Heven, I would
say that there has been mistaken identity of Tudor portraits in the past
because of location that determining validity of the poser should not be
based on location.

As the provenance of the portrait at Hever is that it has been there since Anne's time, (as far as I remember) and I also seem to remember that there is another portrait at Hever in the same style that is said to be Mary Boleyn, I would be inclined to go with that attribution. But the house's owners and historians could be wrong.

Suzi

De