On Wednesday 03 January 2007 9:34 pm, Heather Rose Jones wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2007, at 7:24 AM, Sue Clemenger wrote:
> > A beaded/netted overgown? How cool is that? ;o) I hadn't heard of that
> > intriguing garment, so thanks to you and the other poster who
> > mentioned it.
> > I can see now why the designers of AlbertCat's movie might have
> > tried to
> > imitate it.
> > --Sue
>
> Yeah, it's incredibly cool.  (The same sort of technique seems to
> have been used for beaded-net sarcophagus covers that would include a
> facial portrait of the deceased.)  I had fun making one for my
> "ancient Egyptian doll" -- see <http://www.heatherrosejones.com/
> digthatdoll/egyptianwoman.html>.  It's about 2/3 of the way down the
> page.  (The doll is about 10" tall.)

I have very occasionally seen similar-looking garments (using plastic beads,
naturally!) sold by vendors of belly dance costumes.  These modern examples
seem to be made using crochet techniques.  "Egyptian beaded dress" or "beaded
crochet dress" plugged into Google will sometimes turn up examples.  I'd love
to have one.

--
Cathy Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point
of doubtful sanity."  --Robert Frost