I often wondered the same thing.

My dad is the curator of a very small south texas town museum. There
are a few victorian wedding dresses in there and they are not of the
same design.

I took pictures but the glass they have on there is very reflective
and they did not come out well.

My favorite has a tulle that is beaded over laying the dress ... it
is just beautiful.

I will throw up the pictures if anyone wants to see them. Just let
me know.

Chiara