Schaube is the German word for what the English called a gown, according to
Cunnington's book (Handbook of English Costume in the 16th Century). Another
term used in England for what is probably the Henry VIII style gown is
"shamew", "chammer", or "chymer". However, the descriptions for both appear
similar, with no mention of length. In fact, the description of the "gown"
entry sounds more like the Henry VIII style than the entry for the other words
above. Then there is the sub-description for "demigown" which is the short
version, although a period term seems to be "a short rydinge gown", since they
were often worn while on horseback. That's according to the book, not me.

  I will tell you it is very confusing trying to figure out the various terms
used, as they often overlap or mean multiple things. Because they also used
"frock", "coat", "cassock" and "gabardine" for various outer garments.

  As to patterns, currently _The Tudor Tailor_ has one version, and there is
something in the _Patterns for Theatrical Costumes: Garments, Trims and
Accessories from Ancient Egypt to 1915_ by Katherine Strand Holkeboer. I also
know that Period Patterns #53 is currently available, with two other companies
working on the Henry VIII style patterns for release I don't know when.

  Kimiko