Don't know if you are near San Jose, CA, but Fabrics R Us is very low
priced, for silks, brocades, fancies.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 3:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [h-cost] fabric for robe a la francaise

They make some very lovely synthetic taffetas. Try to get one that's not so

heavy.

Now having said that, I  do like some of the oriental satin  brocades you
find at Jo Ann's.... if you can find one that isn't dragons or  bamboo. I've

found some with a butter yellow background covered with little  multicolor
flowers. Also one in coffee with black flowers evenly spread across  it.
Also a cream
one with chrysanthemums. These can be a little heavy but they  look very
rich. Polyester is not a dreadful as it used to be. Sometimes it looks
exactly
like silk, though never feels like it.

Also chintz...striped or floral....can be perfect. Check the drapery
department, but make a huge effort to choose something that doesn't look
like
curtains [even though many real gowns do].