Hmm... but I need them to be 1600-ish...

Look thru early ukiyo-e, Japanese colored woodblock prints.  The art
form was in full swing in 16th c Edo (Tokyo).  There is a magnificent
ukiyo-e Museum in Tokyo that I spent time at.  Wonderful exhibits that
changed every few weeks as their hang space was quite small, but the
collection was over 12K prints.
Ota Memorial Museum of Art.
Check out Toyko National Museum, and look thru the painted scrolls, too.
If you happen to be in/near SF the DeYoung has a Japanese collection, too.

You will also find print of Westerners labeled "Southern Barbarians".
Look also for 16th c waterfront views of famous port towns like
Yokohama.

Namban
thanks I think you helped

Actually, it's quite common to see Japanese words with "n" or "m"
spelled either way when transliterated.  Ditto the hard "g" & "k".
Eventually the standard spelling gets codified in English.
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]