Thanks Robin,

I have that article on my list!

Beth

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 08:18:07 -0600 (CST)
From: Robin Netherton

I haven't seen the thesis and can't speak to it, but Jennifer Harris had
an excellent article on 12th-century clothing in a collection of essays
edited by my colleague Gale Owen-Crocker a few years ago.

(rustle, rustle) Here it is:

Jennifer Harris, "Estroit vestu et menu cosu": Evidence for the
construction of twelfth-century dress," in _Medieval Art: R4ecent
Perspectives: A memorial tribute to C. R. Dodwell_, ed. Gale R.
Owen-Crocker and Timothy Graham (Manchester University Press, 1998).

ILL *that* book. You'll get a good idea of Harris's outlook from that, and
then you can decide whether to plunk down the bucks to get the thesis. (My
general feeling is that while I disagree with a few of her
interpretations, it is a well-researched article that brings together a
lot of hard-to-find evidence in a refreshingly coherent fashion.)

Based on the title of the thesis, I wonder if the article I mention above
wouldn't be much more in line with your interests anyway!

--Robin