Try wrapping the wire in bias tape or strips..Then coat with glue. Or just
coat the wire with glue or paint. Latex is stretchy enough so you can still
bend the wire.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Saragrace Knauf
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 5:50 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: [h-cost] Headpiece Construction was: Cool picture

I've never studied the French Hood in detail. These all look like little
stacked wedding cakes to me.  The PAM picture only has the front band and
then what looks like one little can with a lid on it.  The front band isn't
as wide.

I am going to make the lace in front attached to a little cap, over which
the front band is set.  I think I am going to make the back gathered into a
hole through which her hair is pulled and then pin the can into her hair.
This works great on my head block, but I can't use T pins on the live model,

darn it!

The sheer part is pretty straight forward - I am glad in this picture you
are able to see the "bump" in the center indicating wire running straight to

the back. It is very visible in many other pictures. I can't see this in the

PAM gown, but was unable to get the silk organza to lie smoothly without it.

I've made this as a separate wired piece as there are other pictures showing

it worn alone, but will probably sew it on the band to keep it in place.

How they kept this all so clean and precise I don't know.  I am using
stainless steel welding rod for wire - I assume they had no way to
completely prevent rust. I know there is evidence that they wrapped thread
around the wire - That took way too long and they don't make a millinery
wire this stiff....so I used floral tape!

There are some pictures with a slightly different style where everything is
kinda' crumpled up.  The wires are bent - etc.  Its hard to imagine them not

getting that way pretty quick!

Thanks for your interest.

Saragrace