>   I'm a librarian looking for books of fashion photographs
> for one of my library customers. She is interested in women's
> evening wear of the 1940s and 1950s. Does anyone know of a
> good source or sources for this kind of information?

There are a number of books I'd look at, depending on what exactly you're
looking for (in no particular order):

_New Look to Now. French Haute Couture 1947-1987_ by Stephen DE Pietri and
Melissa Leventon
        * has photos of museum displays. All "High Fashion".

_Blueprint of Fashion. Home Sewing Patterns of the 1950s_ by Wade Laboissonniene
        * if you're looking for photo's of real people, this isn't it. It's got
lots of pictures of sewing pattern covers. Many of which are evening dresses.

_This Fabulous Century 1940-1950_ and _This Fabulous Century 1950-1960_
published by Time Life Books
        * photos of real people (and real magazine articles) from Time
magazine. The pictures of evening dress are usually on the wealthy or the stars.

_American Costume 1915-1970. A Sourcebook for the Stage Costumer_ by Shirley
Miles O'Donnell
        * it has some photos, but is mostly line drawings of both day and
evening wear. The text is very useful though...

_Vogue. History of 20th Century Fashion_ by Jane Muluagh
        * This is entirely "High Fashion" but there are lots of photos of women
in evening wear.

Other books that I don't have (and therefore cannot vouch for) that may be
useful:
Harris, Kristina. _Vintage Fashions for Women: The 1950s& 60s_
Shih, Joy. _Fashionable Clothing from the Sears Catalogs: Late 1950s_
Skinner, Tina. _Fashionable Clothing from the Sears Catalogs: Mid 1950s_
Skinner, Tina. _Fashionable Clothing from the Sears Catalogs: Mid 1940s_
Skinner, Tina and McCord, Lindy. _Fashionable Clothing from the Sears Catalogs:
Late 1940s_
Skinner, Tina and Schuck, Jenna Palecko. _Fashionable Clothing from the Sears
Catalogs: Early 1940s_
Smith, Desire. _Fashionable Clothing: From the Sears Catalogs, Early 1950s_
Smith, Desire. _Vintage Style 1920-1960_