Just be sure your paillette-maker uses sturdy enough plates if you're going to use it on metal. I know folks who have tried to use the scrapbooking type of plastic-plate sort of thing, designed for paper, on lightweight metal, and the plastic gets mashed flat in about three passes.... no fun.

I've mentioned this page before (probably the last time Bjarne brought this up, in fact...)
http://claning.home.igc.org/bezants/bezants.htm

I've used metal leather-punching tools with pretty good results.

O    Chris Laning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - Davis, California
+     http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com