Hello Sheree,

  Thank you so much for the info you provided.

  From another list I was given this link as well.
  http://fingerloop.org/aglet.html
  At the bottom of the page is some detailed sketches that really help, along
with a bit more info than I had before.

  If the buttons were anything like the buttons I learned to make modernly,
then I can follow how they would not need a core other than the cording/braid
itself. Or perhaps they were cloth covered buttons? I will have to delve some
more.

  Thanks again, and let me know if you find out anything more. I shall do the
same.

  Kimiko

slc_fire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    Kimiko,

I've been on this hunt for a few months too. One thing I've learned - Chinese
knots are not at all the same as period Turkish knots/buttons. The buttons on
the Turkish coats are interesting. <snip>
  I'm told, however, that the extant buttons in the V&A do not have a wooden
core. So you're guess is as good as mine when it comes to the real construction.
<snip>
  If you find out more please let me know.

Sheree