At 16:32 28/03/2007, you wrote:

Hmm. It appears "hand" might be too much of an American term. Thank
goodness for this list.

And yes, I think "feel" is too narrow to capture the idea of drape, which
is something I couldn't put my finger on -- thanks to those who mentioned
it, as now I have something to approach the authors with

Patty asked about "properties"; the authors discuss a large number of
factors that help define the effect of a textile, so I read this word as a
catch-all term for everything else about the fabric other than how it
looks and feels, e.g. warmth, durability, etc. But I will query and see
whether that's what they mean, or whether all the properties they address
can be summed up in appearance and drape/texture.

A radical thought: If I used the original word, "handle," would anyone
here *not* understand it? Would it seem like bad English usage (which is a
major concern here)? It struck both my English co-editor and me as a
translation problem.

The two appearances of the word:

"We hope that [this method of analysis] may provide information that will
increase our knowledge about the properties, handle, and appearance of a
finished fabric."

"Both the amount of twist and the twist combination in warp and weft are
very important for the appearance of a fabric and also for the fabric's
handle and properties."

I am very tempted to put "drape and texture" in for the latter pair of
adjectives, and may ask the authors' permission on that.

--Robin

Would using "handling" instead of "handle" help?

Suzi