> My students have been asking some really good questions.  These
> questions I only know the answers from personal experience.  I lived
> in Mississippi at the time and do not know if we were really far
> behind fashion or not.  If you answer these questions, please let me
> know your location and the app. year you remember these fashions
> were worn to public elementary through high school:
>
> 1. Mini-skirts: Girl's skirt lengths were measured
> 2. Girls' pants:  When were girls' allowed to wear pants to school.
> Pants-suits, hiphuggers?
> 3. Boys' Hair: Allowed to wear long hair
> 4. Boy's mustaches: When allowed

(Sorry for the lag, just got home.)

Omaha, NE.

1) I don't recall measurements, and one year in JROTC the skirt I was
issued as part of my uniform was really short (I'd say mid-thigh, going
just off memory).  This would probably have been fall 1977-spring 1978.
IIRC, there was a really large hem in the skirt, so apparently the last
girl to wear it had hemmed it up.  I never got in trouble for wearing it,
and had the previous girl gotten in trouble I suspect she would have been
made to let the hem back out.  I've never been a fan of miniskirts even
before the weight went on, so I can't be any more precise than that.

2) I remember my grandmother making what she always called "Kabuki pants"
for me, and I know I could wear those to school by 6th grade or so.  They
were basically a wrap pant with _lots_ of overlap and an elastic
waistband.  Let's see ... that would have been around 1973-74.  Before
then, I seem to recall skirts or dresses being the rule unless you were
in gym class.  In 7th grade home ec (around 1974-75), we could choose to
make shorts as part of the sewing section.  I was on the precision drill
team in high school JROTC, and we wore maroon polyester jumpsuits for
some of the drill competitions (not issued, though I think we were told
which pattern to buy).

I can't answer 3 or 4 -- I have one brother, but he was in JROTC as well
so had to stay clean-shaven and short-haired.  My only interest in other
boys when I was in school had to do with the odds they would beat me up
or steal from me.

Leah