From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Penny Ladnier
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 8:07 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Best styles for tall girls - OT

It really depends on her body shape as to what she can wear.  I dress people

for a living and will be happy to help.  Privately send me her photo and let

me know about her personality. What she considers her good features and bad.

The fun part of graduation is this is when true personalities come out,
especially college graduation.  Under those gowns are some fantastic
personalities!  At our college you can always tell who are the nursing
students out of  thousands of graduates.  They are the party people and
decorate their hats, gowns, etc.  When they announce that the nursing school

has graduated a party of confetti, balloons, horns announce it by those
students.  The medical doctors/students take their graduation hats off and
bow to them.  It is worth going to graduation to see this event!

I float as an adult between 5'10" (bad back days) to 5' 11" (good back).  I
am from a tall family, the shortest is 5-9, the tallest 7 ft.  When I visit
my sisters in Florida we swap clothing.  There are 24 years difference in
age between my youngest and oldest sisters.  My youngest sister is 6-2 or so

and my oldest sister is 5-9.  The key is taking a piece of clothing and
change how you wear it with accessories.  Also how you carry "the look makes

a big difference.  My youngest sister dresses in the "Florida teacher
casual" look, I dress artsy/dramatic, and my older sister dresses in sexy or

in club wear.  My older sister was born at the beginning of the baby boomers

and youngest at the end of the generation.  I don't think I have ever seen
my sisters in a business suits or stripes.  We are all very expressive of
our personalities in our mode of dress.

I have a long thin bones.  I look so thin because I am wide but not thick.
I have never tried to look shorter and wore those 4" heels until son #2 came

along and the back problems came.  I still wear 2 1/2" inch heels daily.
When young, I gave up on trying to find guys as tall as me and wore the shoe

height that I wanted.  LOL, short guys always wanted to date me.  My husband

is 6-1 and loves when I wear heels.

Being tall, you can wear almost all styles. I don't like stripes except on
full skirts. I just don't like stripes on anyone.  The trick is knowing
where to bring out your good points and hide you flaws. Bob Mackie made his
living doing this for women.  I can wear all lengths of dresses
successfully.  The key is matching the heel height to the proper length of
skirt.   I have long arms, torso, and arms.  For long sleeve shirts, I wear
men's shirts.   I do avoid empire waists.  I have no cleavage and it looks
my bust look smaller. I have a really long neck and don't wear plunging
necklines is a no-no.  My youngest sister is chesty and can wear the plunge!

Body shapes plays such an important part in dressing.  My daughter and
husband are on a weight lost challenge.  I am measuring them weekly.  Today,

I measured my daughter who is 5-6 and weighs the same as me.  She couldn't
believe that our measurements are about the same in measurement.  She is
rather chesty and had to measure me tonight to see that we are the same
measurements.  The differences are our height, and body/bone shapes (she has

swimmer's shoulders/mine bony).

Each week at the beginning my class, we discuss the fashions, body types,
and what worked and didn't on the fashion-relational reality shows, like
American and Aussie Top Models, Top Design,  Dancing W/ Stars, and American
Idol (AI).  You have all body types and the dressers/wardrobe experiment
with the contestants clothing/costume images.  Dress is an expression of a
the wearer's personality.  A person that is not comfortable in what they are

wearing is like a fish out of water.  A good example is Melinda Doolittle on

AI.  I feel so sorry for this lady... a fashion victim  She looks so
uncomfortable in what the wardrobe dresser puts her in.  Several times she
has commented on the types dress is not her .  Last week they put her in
something that she looked great!  Of course, Simon didn't like it.  But she
looked and acted comfortable in what she wearing for the first time.

I know a lady who is 6-3 or -4 and you would never know it until she stands
up.  I was so tickled to meet her.  I phoned my youngest sister immediately.

This was the first time, I have had to look up to another woman.  What a
wonderful feeling!  It was great to look up to a woman!  I have only had to
look up to my tall brothers and one tall son all my life!

The same can be said for men... four of my sons are around 6 ft. tall and
all have different body shapes and personalities.  All have different styles

of fashion that match their personality and lifestyles.
Son 1: The businessman dresses in shirts and ties (giggle... he wears
stripes), preppy when casual.  Clean cut hair, well-shaven, shaped eyebrows,

etc.
Son 2: Computer guru wears a polo for work/dress and t-shirts w/ jeans for
casual... hair like he just crawled out of bed.
Son 3: Business major college student wears what ever is on the floor and
smells clean.  When he works the uniform that looks and smells clean.  Life
in a dorm... get the picture!  Funny.. he always has a clean haircut and
shaven.
Son 4: Artsy son, wears black jeans with lots of pockets for tools and his
staff/crew t-shirt of what ever his latest show that he worked.  I had to
laugh at his orange "Dancing with the Stars" t-shirt.  He got rid of that
shirt quick!  He said that he only wears orange during October.  He wears a
long ponytail and shaves maybe once a week.  But he bathes daily and starts
out the day with clean clothes!

Off-topic but really funny... could be on topic since people see our
clothing and assume who we are...
A couple of weeks ago,  son #4 was in DC picking up a friend at Dulles
Airport.  My son was wearing his "crew" shirt from his recent Red Hot Chili
Peppers concert.  Four giggling teenagers came up to my son wanting his
autograph.   He tried to tell them that he wasn't in the band and just
worked  lighting for the concert.  The teenagers did not believe my son and
insisted on an autograph!  So my son finally gave them an autograph.

Penny Ladnier,
Owner, The Costume Gallery Websites
www.costumegallery.com
www.costumelibrary.com