It is my understanding that they brought goods to small towns via mail that could only be gotten in the big cities before. It is interesting that the coming of Rural free Delivery (USPS) comes in about this time. Sears and Wards were the first to recognize the sales possibilities that were pretty much handled by traveling merchants, at least for household items. The demand for the acessability of needful goods that were more difficult to deliver spawned the coming of stores and catalogue storefronts in towns and villagers. The way of the General Store as a convenience store was simplified but not obliterated.

Kathleen
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2007 3:25 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Re: Walmart Fabric Dept...

In a message dated 4/7/2007 3:19:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

And one  might remember that at least in the 20th C that a Sears store
opening up did not cause all the other MomAnd Pops to go out of business!

They didn't? Are you sure....I mean Sears became big in 1906...with the
coming of "rural free delivery"